Photography

Bow Tutorial


 I think the one question I get asked the most when I post things I have made is, "WHERE did you get that big bow!?". And then once I say I made it... everyone always wants to know how. So here it is. Step by step... how I make my bows!

FIRST OFF please excuse my manicure lol I was not expecting to make this today but I needed to make two bows so I figured while I was making them I might as well make the tutorial lol. So anway...

You will need a few supplies. Nothing fancy. The bow I make in the tutorial is made with 1.5in grosgrain ribbon.... I will give you measurements for that smaller bow AND for the larger bow made with 2.25in ribbon. ALSO I included in the supply list all the items you need to finish the bows but I will not be showing you how to add a clip or a center knot, I couldn't do it with one hand!



Supplies:
32in of 1.5in ribbon OR 46in of 2.25in ribbon, 7/8in ribbon for center knot, needle and thread ( have the thread already through the needle and a knot tied), scissors, hair clips, lighter, and glue gun!

First you will need to heat seal your ribbon ends. Since I was taking my own photos I wan unable to take a picture of that step (at least not without burning my house down lol) so you will have to use your imagination today :) Just pass the flame quickly along the edge so that the fibers melt and the ribbon does not fray. You can also use a wood burning tool but I have no experience with that. Anyway.... moving along.

You are going to want to fold your ribbon in half lengthwise and make a crease. Finger press it to make sure you will be able to see the crease once you unfold it.



Now you want to take your top piece and loop it DOWN and towards to crease and place it like this, my finger is on the creased middle.


Next, you loop the bottom loop UP towards the middle crease and place it like this.



Now, you need to make sure you grab the MIDDLE of your top loop and bring it right down to the center .



Repeat with the bottom loop and place it right over the top one with the top of the ribbon a tiny bit lower than the top of the top loops ribbon.




Next, grab it all together and dont let it shift! Thats very important. It should look something like this.



This is when your needle and thread come in. Stick your needle right where I am showing you. The bottom middle, but just above the very bottom.



You need to go in, out, in, out, in out. You should have three "hills" like I have shown here.



Now, grab your ribbon like this and hold it in place while you pull the needle and thread through and wrap it around a few times.



Once you have done that, stick the needle through the middle piece and knot off and cut the tails.



Your bow should look something like this..... ugly LOL!


Don't worry we will fix it. it just takes a little pushing flat and shaping before it looks like....

THIS!



 and your bigger bow will look like this once you are done tying.



I did not include steps for a middle knot but basically you just tie a knot with ribbon, glue it to the middle and then wrap it around back and glue it. And you also just glue the clip on back. And there you have it!!!! Beautiful bows!

All you have to do is find some pretty heads like these to stick them on :P




Thanks for reading - see ya next time!






















5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the photo tutorial, Robin! Your girls are always so adorable in their big bows!
    Good luck with the new blog. It looks great! :)
    Lela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to do this! I can't wait to try the needle/mountain creasing now that I have a picture of what to do in front of me.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. Great Post! Thanks for your share! You can get ribbons with 196 colors and 19 sizes of Yama Ribbon for your project!

    ReplyDelete